Thursday, September 16

Post run

Today I started training again. After a foot injury and a few other momentum distractors it was really wonderful to go for s proper run. Before I left I meditated for an hour and then read the sections on "Nutrition during and immediately after exercise" in Brendan Brazier(vegan ironman)'s book Thrive. I ran 10kms down through the parks and along the river. It's so sustaining to connect with some kind of nature on a regular basis. Below are the "recovery drink" and "whole food smoothie" I made post run.

Whole food smoothie
An hour after my run I made this smoothie (the recovery drink at the end of this post is what I drank straight afterwards)

"A liquid meal shortly after exercise is of value because the majority of the bodys blood will be bust rapidly circulating throughtout the body clearing lactic acid and other metabolic waste from the extremities and delivering nutrients...with the extra strain of digestion removed by consuming complete liquid nutrition, recovery (from exercise) will dramatically improve." (Brendan Brazier, Thrive, p120)
--
2 segments of durian (my friend dumpstered amazing fresh durians imported from thailand, crazy that they get thrown out, too weird for normal people maybe? anyway the durian was able to lead a regenerated second life in my kitchen, thankyou world for the present)
2 cups of water
1 tbs unhulled tahini
1 tbs hempseed protein
1 tbs carob powder
1 tsp slippery elm
This was a really satisfying protein rich smoothie, and it tasted amazing!

Recovery drink - I made this straight after my run.

"What is consumed after the workout is vital for cellular reconstruction.. To speed recovery, the body needs simple carbohydrate to enter the blood stream - the quicker the better. This means that the post-exercise snack should contain very little fat and no fiber, since both slow the rate at which carbohydrate enters the bloodstream...as well as electrolytes lost in sweat." (Brendan Brazier, Thrive, p118)
Suggested in Brendans recipes are the use of dates, coconut water, blueberries and papaya which are all lovely but I don't have them. So I read his ideas and made my own.
--
2 calendula flowers (the petals)
sprig parsely
2 cups of water
1/4 tsp pink salt
2 tsp maca (for adrenal nourishment)
1 tbs hemp oil
1 tsp wakame seaweed
1/2 large lemon
1 tsp raw honey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...