Monday, August 30

Making dosa for lunch

Ive made Dosa experiments several times in the last couple of weeks. I really enjoy the flavour and texture of these pancakes, they are delicious, though im sure mine would be quite different to traditional dosa, I was happy with todays recipe.
--
1/2 cup of organic white rice soaked for a day and ground up in mortar and pestle (you could use a blender)
1/2 cup of whole red lentils soaked and beginning to sprout, also ground up, some lentils were left whole
1/2 cup of kefir, I used biodynamic cows milk kefir because thats what I had, this is to kickstart the souring process. Which develops the flavours and extra healthful qualities of dosa. You could also use some sourdough culture (maybe even yoghurt?) or leave the mixture to ferment naturally for a few days.

The ingredients were mixed together into a thick paste and left in a jar for a day to ferment. When ready to cook I added some pink salt, a little extra water, a few dried garlic granules because they were beside the stove and I thought why not, and a little bit of cinnamon powder.
I fried them on a low heat using a thin layer of coconut oil in a heavy cast iron pan. It is best to let the dosa cook well on one side until the top becomes dry, then flipping is a simple endeavour and they hold together well. It doesnt need much cooking at all on the other side. Dosa are flavoursome enough to enjoy on their own, today mum and I ate them for lunch with salads and tahina sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...