Thursday, August 19

Injera

Injera
Eithopian sourdough pancake (traditionally this is beautifully spongey and aerated)

This was the first time I have tried to make injera, I've had the red sourgham flour I bought from an injera bakery from Footscray for about a year in my freezer and I thought I would finally attempt it and bring it along to Fermentation Friday. The recipe is straight out of Sandor Ellix Katz's Wild Fermentation. They were a bit of a flop and no matter how hard I tried the bottom of the injera kept sticking to the pan. So I took my mixture along to FF and luckily there was someone that could help me out (go real life troubleshooting, way more fun than the Internet).I met Ben from Brisbane who runs Culture Club, he taught me many very useful and interesting things. We managed to pull together something of edibility, and I dressed the 'injera' with Megs delicious mango chutney I found in her fridge. But the most important thing I learned was that sourdoughs hit 'peaks' and when they are peaking you want to seize the moment and cook them. My injera mix had been well and truly bubbling with wonder in the morning but by the afternoon had passed a peak. I think I will need to further investigate if this makes a difference to the sticking situation. Sourdough peak watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...