Thursday, December 2

The question of dehydrators

It comes to mind often whether or not I need or want a dehydrator to futher enhance or support my explorations into living and raw foods. The Excalibur, popular among raw foodists have never sat particularly well with me, made from plastic, rather expensive, consuming a lot of electricity and removing all that delicious water from foods. But there are of course great things about owning a dehydrator such as gently warming soups and raw dishes to body temperature and maintaining enzyme activity and making crackers and raw bread conveinently and cheaply...so I've been reconsidering purchasing a dehydrator, especially as part of what I want to do is make food for others as well, and at some point do big dinner events and possibly some catering, so a dehydrator would be well used and useful in my kitchen.
One I had seen before and came across again recently is the Living Foods Dehydrator, it is wooden, beautiful and very well made, it is also adaptable to alternative heat sources such as solar. They are heavy and expensive to ship outside of the US but sell the plans so you can make your own. I also came across this blog post about making your own dehydrator from recycled materials. Awesome, cheap, practical and you can make it to your particular specifications. I might ask my younger brother with amazing carpentary skills if he would help me build one. So inspiring to even consider taking something like this into your own hands. There are also a lot of plans on the net to build your own solar ovens. This is the future. The sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...